Apr 11, 2013

It wasn’t always so easy.

Today, people don’t think twice when they see something animated.

Think about that for a second if you will... animation has become so ubiquitous that we don’t find it at all unique or even give much thought into the labor behind making something into an animated short.

But there was a time when that was not the case, when animation was a long and tedious process that required hours upon hours of painstaking work.

This was the world that I grew up in and the circles I ran in. And the irony of it is that I’ve never taken the time to sit down and learn actionscripting or flash even though all the concepts the programs are based around are second nature to me.

Before I run off on a tangent though, I wanted to share this commercial I vividly remember from my youth. And it combines a bunch of things: really great art, animation and terrific music. I wonder if there isn’t something here, the germ of an idea that today would be worth drawing out into long form.

Maybe though the material is dated and its time has passed. I give you Captain Fantastic:


No comments: